Please note, current information regarding the 2020 fall season is up to date on the main page of our website and supersedes any information found on any other page.
Our cohorts are now full and basketball is in full swing. Thank you to everyone for your patience while we got our season going in hopefully, a sustainable way. We are no longer taking registrations for this fall, but may be running a program in the new year. Please check our website in early December for further information.
Evaluations for boys' divisions will be THIS SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 26 at Cardel Rec Centre (333 Shawville Blvd SE #100, Calgary, AB T2Y 4H3). There will only be evaluations for U11, U13 and U15 boys as follows:
U11 12:30pm-2:30 pm
Evaluations will last 45 minutes. Age coordinators will be contacting families in the next couple of days by email to let them know what time within those windows their child will be evaluated.
Registration will remain open until the beginning of the season the week of October 13. We are accepting registrations from across the city in most divisions and will continue to do so until our cohorts are full.
Registration is now OPEN to zone 5. Registration will open to all other zones on Tues, Sept 15th until our cohorts are filled. Based on the latest AHS advice, we are encouraging families and individuals to assess the risk that comes with multiple cohorts and encourage you to limit the risk by limiting the number of cohorts to which your families belong. We will no longer be requiring a one cohort limit.
Boy's evaluations will take place on Saturday Sept 26 to place boys in cohorts. Girls will not have an evaluation as there will only be one girl cohort per age group. The season will start the week of October 13 and each team will have 9 weeks of practices/games.
Pre-registered families are now being given the opportunity to finalize their registration and pay their fees. Please see the email sent out for payment instructions. General registration will open up to Zone 5 families on Monday, September 14 and to all other zones on Tues, Sept 15th. Spots in our cohorts will be given out on a first come, first serve basis following these regional registration dates.
Although subject to change, our current scheduling is as follows. Boy's divisions will play on one day OR the other depending on what cohort they are assigned to.
Tykes will play on Friday evenings.
Because budgets are based on the number of players registered at the beginning of the season, there will be no prorated fees or refunds given for players who miss practices or games for any reason. In the event of a league wide disruption to the season, we will do our best to refund the portion of fees that has not already been used to pay for facilities, equipment, etc.
Monday August 31 is the final day for pre-registration for the fall season. We hope to have a fall plan sometime later in September. Once you have pre-registered, you will be given an opportunity to confirm your registration and pay for the fall season before registration is opened to the general public within our zone. Pre-registration will be closed Tuesday September 1.
The Calgary Minor Basketball Association announced today that they have cancelled the city wide fall season due to insufficient facilities. As a smaller association, SoCal is exploring different possibilities to get our kids playing since the CMBA is not going to be able to offer a fall season. As a reminder to parents and guardians, the government has mandated that while we are still in Phase 2, individuals are only allowed to be part of one sports team/cohort. This will mean that kids will not be able to play multiple sports and decisions will have to be made about which sport your child will play. We are offering a fee free pre-registration until the end of August. (http://sccba.ca/content/registration-information) If a fall basketball program is offered, youth that pre-register will be given preference in the event that the program is over subscribed. Details on the program offering will be communicated in September and the cost and payment will be required at that time.
We hope that everyone is looking forward to getting back to basketball as much as we are! We appreciate your patience as we learn what our options are for the fall season. We are very hopeful that basketball, in some form, will be a possibility for our kids.
Alberta government guidelines currently dictate that modifications will be likely in the upcoming season. These modifications could range from cohort play to a delayed start date. Play is also limited based on availability of facilities. We are hoping to have more answers about play and facilities in early August. We will update the website and send out emails as more information becomes available. Our fingers are crossed!
In the meantime, registration will open July 1st. This will initially be a no-fee registration to give us an idea of numbers for the fall and allow interested families on our email list to stay informed of further developments. Fees will be assessed in August once we have a better idea of what our season will look like and we will send out additional information then, when registration is finalized.
We hope this email finds you healthy and ready to get playing again!